Sunday 25 April 2010

Everyday signs...



My name is Sarah and for my intervention I sampled two ideas to see whether they could change a person's perception of space.
My first attempt was to take the 'This way up' sign off the side of a cardboard box and apply it to the front of the lift. I played with the positioning of the sign, (upside down, right way up, arrow facing opposing way to sentence etc...) in order to generally confuse the person getting into the lift. However because people within the building are constantly in there, they weren't fazed in the slightest by it.
The second attempt was an effort to try and bring road signs within the building to see if people would respond to it as they would do on the road. I decided to use the 'no entry' sign which I put on doors and the lift doors and watched to see if they were used or ignored. One person obeyed the sign, but another completely disregarded it (as you can see above.)
I think if I was to add more signs around the building by using a wider range and for example making one way corridors etc... it would possibly be quite effective.
I also made a simple video to demonstrate how my interventions tried to make a statement and will install a link when it has uploaded.
So that was my mini project in Chatham :)
Sarah Capper

No comments:

Post a Comment